Wednesday, October 12, 2005

SURVIVORS 1975 tv series further comments

OK I've now seen the final ep from season one but not all of the extras yet.
Yeah I remembered they picked up an "almost doctor" along the way, but
couldn't remember exatly when or where she came into the series.

I know this show was from the 1970's but looking at it now, I see it as
still very sexist

Greg won't let Abby and Lucy go to the old quarry alone to collect supplies at the abandoned "porta-cabin"
because the men are all busy planting crops and they can't spare a man to
"accompany her" Like, as she can drive a car, fix a flat tyre, shoot a gun if
need be (to protect their chastity from the non-existant wandering rapists),
the stuff at the quarry is all in small boxes, which her and Lucy can easily
load themselves. They don't need the increased muscular strength of a man
to swing an axe or a sledgehammer or to lift heavy weights, or throw a spear deeper into the Rhino's thick hide , so what gives ?

Later after the trial, when they decide as a group decision to execute the
retarded man Barnie (thinking erroneously he'd attacked and killed Wendy)
ONLY THE MEN draw straws to select which one of them has to fire the fatal
shot........like yeah 'cause the women are all stupid and useless cry-babies etc etc
GGRRRRR. That attitude makes me cross. Oh well I guess the scriptwriters
are a reflection of their time, and their own education and upbringing.

I think that's one reason why I like Joss Whedon's creations so much. I
dunno if you'd call him a S.N.A.G. but he'd have to be the most UNsexist man
I've ever come across (well not that I've ever actually met him in person, obviously)

When the SURVIVORS tvseries first aired in NZ, and as I's about 15 years old at the time, I already knew that jacks were used for changing
flat tyres, but only after seeing Greg use the jack from the boot of his
sports car did it occur to me that you could also use them to lift an
obstruction clear from a wounded person. But something that always pissed
me off was we never saw Greg take his jack BACK, what if he'd gottten a
puncture just up the road, he couldn't call the AA ! (=RAC or NRMA)

Later in the 1980's film "Quadrophenia" I learnt how car jacks can be used
to spread the window security bars in chemist shop windows when you wanna
steal some prescription drugs !

I can't say that in the last 20 years or so I have lifted any toppled
tractors or busted into very many chemist shops, but I have used jacks for all sorta
things around here and there.

cheers


Patsy..... "So, is killing *Not* wrong anymore ?"
Trudy..... "We don't have to worry about Right and Wrong anymore, ZOOT
decides for us"
.....THE TRIBE ep 2:49

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home