Thursday, February 02, 2006

GENGHISCON Scifi and Gaming convention Review

I hereby consent to this review being
re-published in other electronic, paper or other media which is not
intended primarily for profit. Such is likely to include fanzines, club
newsletters, and websites etc. It may be edited provided such editing is
reasonable.

GENGHISCON #5 January 27 to 29 2006

Yes, another Genghiscon was held and another smashing success it was with
much fun had by all, thanks go to the organising committee. This being the
5th annual GenghisCon, and the third which I have attended. Same place
as last year, "Trinity College" which is a university student accommodation
facility, opposite UWA in the Perth suburb of Nedlands/Crawley, and with a large grassed lawn area, partly shaded by trees, and some convention-room facilities, perfectly suited to
GenghisCons. (Same place again next year ? Please ! )

The accommodation is basic, but nothing else is needed at a 'Con, eh.
Actually as I arrived at the 'con on Friday late afternoon, things didn't
start off too well. After a hectic day, having driven in from the country
earlier that day, and spent the hottest part of the day driving around in my
old car getting stuff done, with NO air-conditioning in the car, but the
heater stuck half-on, and the windows unable to wind down properly, I was
REALLY lookin' forward to dumping all my paraphenalia in my room and having
a l-o-n-g shower.

As I'd already prepaid my membership and accommodation by snailmail months
earlier, Registration was a breeze, however the door key for the room number
I's given, talk about "not fit the lock" it wouldn't even come close to
fitting in the hole. I was frantic, I headed back to the registration desk
and within just moments I had been allocated another room and key. Yep,
some smart cookies on the organising committee had planned in advance for
just such an emergency and several spare rooms were available and ready
immediately.

It took 3 trips (2 with a trolley) to unload my car into my room, golly I
carry a lot of junk around with me.......oh well I had stuff like the flyers
for Aussiecon Worldcon bid for 2010 which I had promised to hand out, as
well as, well, just "stuff".

Sometime before Mundaring Weir ran dry, I ended my shower, and feeling very
much refreshed, I went off around the 'con. I found the 24 hr free
tea/coffee/milo upstairs and after a hot beverage of my choice I was fully
rejuvenated. (Unfortunately I had by then missed the first 2 items "Hakki
Sack mayhem" and "Origami Chess") and I had also missed the "Jester's" pie
ordering and eating thereof. I seldom eat meat, but Jester's freshly made
pies I will eat when the opportunity arises.

The official opening segment was at 7 pm by which time my quick head-count
amounted to some 45 persons in the room plus 5 of the organising committee
members. Thie segment included a briefing for those taking part in the
"Killer" live action assassination game which ran throughout the whole 'con.

The student accommodation rooms do not have cooking facilities, but shared
kitchens exist on the second and third floors of all accommodation wings,
however it was not until I had searched 4 kitchens that I found one with a
Microwave oven. I x-rayed some potatoes, not a flash repast, but enough
to keep the worms from bitin' for awhile.

According to the timetable there was Juggling (I didn't watch this close-up,
but saw some, from a safe distance ! ) and there should have been Vampire
LARP too. I didn't actually SEE that, but as with all conventions, you
simply can't be everywhere at once. I attended some of the "What would you
do if....." panel but the constant onslaught of Zombies and Aliens was a bit
of a worry so I also circulated somewhat and spied on what was happening
elsewhere during that time.

Some chess sets had been set up in a dedicated room, I watched some, played
a couple of short games and circulated some more. (An "official" chess
tournament was organised, which I did take part in later.......until such
time as I was eliminated. However I blame my opponent who cheated by having
16 pieces on the board while I had to get by with just 16 pieces. This put
me at a decided disadvantage so it's no wonder I lost). Actually most
entertaining of all was simply being a spectator on other's chess games,
with one young woman in particular (sorry I don't know her name) who kept
up an almost constant banter of witty remarks apparently intended to put her
victim, err, opponent, at a psychological disadvantage. (Mmm, there's
something Buffy-esque about that)

I cruised past the "Slash Crimes" panel but didn't actually stop inside,
even at 11 pm at night, they didn't need me to "help make up the numbers",
there was plenty of folks there. (I'm not quite sure what they got upto in
there
though, perhaps that's a good thing)

I had a run-in with GenghisCon's overnight security, known as "The Brute
Squad", aye, and right pair of brutes they looked to be too. But I's ok, my
ID badge and overnight accommodation arrangements were all in order, so I
had no fear of being horsewhipped or sold into slavery and they went off on
their way.

Overnight accommodation in the student rooms includes breakfast in the
diningroom area on the other side of the central lawn area. Saturday
morning I's waiting for the doors to open at 7 am, but the hot food didn't
arrive until 7.25. There wasn't as much choice as last year, but I still
had a good enough feed to keep me going half the day (I did hear tell
though, that some folks who turned up later, but still within the nominated
'breakfast-time' missed out some as certain items ran out early, maybe it
was all my fault because I ate too much ? or maybe the organisers need to
ask the kitchenstaff to put on more food next year ?)

After breakfast I went straight to the videoroom to see a simply fantastic
fan-made film "Starwreck, In the Pirkining". This was Finnish language with
subtitles. It was better made than many "professional" films.

It was a parody (satire ?) on Star Trek mostly, and Babylon 5. Often
people argue on text newsgroups and other forums about what would happen if
Satr Trek met Babylon 5, warp drive vs jumpgates etc etc. Well this film
dealt with exactly that, and very much more besides. I'd highly recommend
this film to any space/scifi fan who hasn't already seen it. I understand
that the film was only recently completed after many years of work from the
volunteers involved.

Actually a comment, in the form of a complaint, I heard (and I only heard,
the one, complaint) , was that the
video-stream this year had very little really "new" stuff and was mostly old
classics, things readily available on DVD and videotape anyway. Now that's
certainly true to a degree, but I think that with approx 25% members of the
general population having Foxtel pay tv and approx 10 % having highspeed
Broadband Internet access and modern computers which can download tv shows
direct from the USA or UK only hours after they have originally aired (many
Scifi fans being "techno-geeks" and fitting into both groups) I think that
we simply *expect* more from a videoroom stream than we did in the past.

I spoke to the video stream organiser who shall remain nameless because,
well sorry I dunno her name, and she explained that she did not have access
herself to a hightech computer and therefore web-downloaded material.
Personally I commend her for doing such a good job, including in the correct
setting-up of a videoroom (3 access aisles, including one along a wall so
you can safely feel your way along in the dark). I still think that
Genghiscon was well served by a near 24 hr suitable video stream program
which included a variety of items to suit a variety of tastes. However I
would recommend that in future, where the video organiser is highspeed
computer-ally challenged, that the main GenghisCon organising committee,
find some techno-geek type with Broadband to assist them in obtaining some
brand new bits and bobs. I never saw the videoroom "packed" but it seemed
always to have enough of an audience.

Personally I had brought along to Genghiscon several videotapes of "new"
stuff incase the opportunity arose for a latenight screening somewhere. (It
never happened, partly because un-like last year there WAS NOT a tv/video
set up on a wheeled trolley available for latenight use in the upstairs
convention-room area) My videotapes were dubbed from DVDrs I had only just
recieved in the mail from USA, of items that screened in the UK only in
December. Even I was surprised to learn that what I had thought so rare and
precious, had already screened on Foxtel in Australia (yep I am one of the
75% of Australian's who CAN'T afford pay tv).

The excellent fan-made film Starwreck in the Pirkining, finished and I
staggered out into the light. I saw the segment "Morning Tea with Grant
Stone" being set-up but if y'ask me. Grant's wasting away, he's merely a
cardboard cut-out of his former self.

Oh, actually that WAS the cardboard cut-out, Grant in full human person form
turned up a little later. There was more than 20 folks enjoying tea and
scones with jam and cream. I grabbed a half-a-scone but went on my way.
Apparently there was a Martial Arts thing happening at that time, darn it, I
seemed to have missed that completely. For a "small" 'con, there really is
s-o-o much happening.

After lunchbreak was a "Fisiks" class complete with Laser pointers, (head
count was 15, so a good turnout for a serious science segment). I stayed in
the room, for most at least, of the next 2 items too, being the "So you want
to run a small 'Con?" and "Constitution review" panel items. It was a
great idea of the committee to have the constitutional review discussed as a
panel room item as that saved a huge amount of time during the AGM on
Sunday, as we got all the gasbagging out of the way in advance. Combat LARP
did happen and apparently Live Action Battle Cruiser was scheduled to
happen, sorry I didn't get to these events so can't comment further.

I missed the "State Of Robotics" panel darn it, but did make it to the free
BBQ in time to get fed for my Saturday evening meal. I commend the
organisers for holding this event again and ask that future Genghiscons do
the same again. For some reason known only to themselves, the management of
Trinity College and Convention centre had uprooted all but 2 of the
tables-and-chair units in the BBQ area and these were sitting upside-down
and useless dotted about the area.

One panel we discussed whether the Internet was actually making us stoopida,
I's there, so missed the scheduled Dune Larp which was, well, elsewhere.
(I's in the videoroom actually watching "Tank Girl" this is one of those
movies which I have NEVER seen. The universe always seems to conspire
against me, to prevent me getting to ever see it ! Oh well, Now I have seen
it ! and very ok it was too)

I needed "some" sleep so set an alarm and went to bed for 3/4 hr and turned
up after a nap full of energy and rearin' to go, to the "Anime and Sex"
midnight panel. It DID go ahead, well in a fashion, it was more like an
alcohol fuelled free-for-all, I didn't stay long but stuck my head in the
door a little later on to find the population in that room had more than
doubled. There didn't seem to be any "Anime" or "Sex" happening as such,
but the crowd seemed mighty jolly about something, so I guess they's all
enjoying themselves.

Sunday morning, after another feed of breakfast (again, good, but not the
same choice of items as last year) so with a full belly I staggered off to
the upstairs area where the item "COFFEE !" was scheduled. This was
actually NOT being run by "Kaneda" (who I think is still recovering from RSI
he suffered during the excellent coffee panel-and-tasting session he gave
us during Fandomedia #1 "Comedy" Convention in November 2005). IIRC the
lass running Sunday's Coffee session was the same chess-player with the
witty-banter (sorry I dunno her name) She was doing a roaring trade
providing free coffee, I had a couple myself, and that helped to get us all
started for another big day of Genghis-Con-ing.

The panel item "History of Flying Machines" was an excellent presentation
including some slides and "powerpoint" type displays, with much factual info
ranging from Dirigibles to the modern space-entry vehicles including the
X-prize thing. Mark Bivens, a highly educated type and stalwart of many
Swancons led the panel, ably assisted by 3 others, being Rob Masters (and
Ralph Smith and Tony de Groot ?) Later when the alloted time was up, some of
us just couldn't get enough and the panel sorta spilled over into one of the
spare gamingroom areas where we discussed the intricacies of (Wing-In...)
Ground Effect flying as well.

I didn't stay for the Harry Potter discussion but it was certainly a
"vigorous and healthy exchange of ideas" going on amongst those present.

The AGM went much smoother than last years and was simply better organised
and run. It was very well attended. Not quite "everyone" was there, but
certainly a very big proportion of GenghisCon-goers had turned up. Curously
the lightswitch in that room only turns on 3 lamps, the other 12 remaining
steadfastly off, so 3/4 of the room is in a perpetual state of deep gloom.
"Lollies" had been promised and several large bags of Lollipops did indeed
turn up and were consumed with relish by starving hordes. The incoming
committee for next year was selected and voted in, and they will have the
right to choose whether to make Genghiscon 2007 independant of WASFF or
sharing any surplus/loss 50/50% with WASFF in return for cheaper liability
insurance. Personally after having spoken to a number of attendees, and
some past and present committee members, I think that Genghiscon is now at a
point where it can stand on it's own 2 feet and be independant. Liability
insurance costs are more this way yes, but Genghiscon gets to keep all of
it's small surplus which more than makes up more this difference in
premiums. Nevertherless, GenghisCon organising committees should maintain
close friendly links with the WASFF Inc umbrella organisation, even if there
is no direct legal link.

At the AGM it was announced that GenghisCon 2006 had over 80 full-time
memberships plus 25 single-day paid memberships (not counting some free
day-passes for some guest panellists) As such, and with other fundraising
activities taken into account (such as sale of cooldrinks and chocolates) a
very small surplus was expected to be made, after all costs had been
finalised. Excellent, just what a small 'Con should be aiming
for..........break-even point, with a small surplus which can be saved
towards a rainy day.

There were enough positions needing filling that pretty much everyone who
wanted a position, got something, even if it wasn't their first or only
choice. Of the key positions, Mark Turnley is our El Presidente again and
the long suffering Colm is the Secretary. Treasurer is Wendy Mac. There were
plenty of volunteers for other positions including for volunteer helpers
(known as "Minions"). Thanks folks, I look forward to another great
GenghisCon being organised for next year !

Alas I missed the entire "Geeks and their Toys" panel which I had wanted to
attend but I did get to attend much of the Auction. I made one sad pathetic
little bid at one point but left with nothing (but my wallet intact, I
guess) On no, not even that as I got waylaid by JU and was forced to pay
for "Fandomedia 2006" yeah well if y'wanna go, y'have to pay !

There was a closing ceremony with the main panelroom packed to standingroom
only......I couldn't possibly get a headcount, lets just call it "lots".

I didn't stay to help the clean-up as I had a long drive home in front of
me. While parked in the carpark at Trinity somebody had entered my car
during the Sunday afternoon and left it stuffed full of old computer-parts,
so I's going home with a lot more stuff than what I'd came with (Thanks ! ).
Leaving Trinity College just before 5 pm I arrived home just after 9 pm
after making 3 stops to add some 20 litres of coolant/water. Yep my car
engine was dying on me, at night, in the rain and on desolate country roads.
Still it had gotten me satisfactorily to this year's most excellent
"GenghisCon" and back home again safely. I dunno mate, y' pay $100 for a
car and use it for 9 months, then the engine packs it in on ya. Maybe I
should complain to Consumer Affairs of sonethin', eh.

Note there will not be a review by me of this year's SwanCon # 30 as I will
be in the land of the Ki-wi for some months. I should be back in WA for
Fandomedia #2 "Hunger"

Catherine Jemma
Outback Western Australia
2 February 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home